Location: 2605 Dawson Dr., Chester, SC 29706
Mailing Address: PO Box 580, Chester, SC 29706
Phone: (803) 385-0420
Fax: (855) 946-0432
Litter Enforcement Officer: T.J. Martin - firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities and Services
- Litter Enforcement and Nuisance and Abatement - Illegal dumping and a variety of county ordinances.
- Processes a variety of applications and forms.
- Discusses violations and options for resolution with property owners.
- Prepares and submits formal notices of violations.
Article II. Nuisance Abatement
Sec. 22-19. Conditions enumerated.
It shall be unlawful for any person to allow property under his ownership or control to be kept in an unhealthy or unsightly condition by reason of the existence thereon of rubbish, debris, vegetation, weeds, water, foul or noxious effluvia, structural material, equipment, vehicle, or any other substance; and such unhealthy or unsightly condition constitutes a public nuisance. Conditions which constitute a public nuisance include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Deposit of trash, garbage, waste, or debris on private or public property in other than approved disposal containers;
- Accumulation of water in which mosquitoes may breed;
- Growth of vegetation or accumulation of materials which provide a harbor or breeding place for rodents or other pests;
- Growth of weeds in excess of one foot in height;
- A dilapidated structure which is unfit for habitation, or which provides a garbor for rodents, pests, stray animals, or persons engaged in controlled substance use or sale;
- Unauthorized production, transportation, storage, or discharge of fumes, dust, smoke, noise, chemicals, toxic materials, waste, or other materials which pose a threat to public health or safety;
- Any condition which is conducive to the transmission of communicable disease or which increases the hazard of fire; or
- A junked, abandoned, unlicensed, inoperable, or unsecured motor vehicle which may provide a harbor or breeding place for insects or rodents.
(Code 1998, 6-201; Ord. No. 7-5-88, 7-5-1988)
Sec. 22-20. Notice and hearing on abatement.
- The building official or other designated county code enforcement official shall serve written notice by certified mail upon the owner, or his agent, and the occupant of property upon which conditions exist in violation of this article requiring that the conditions be corrected or removed within 15 days.
- The notice shall state that upon written request received prior to the expiration of 15 days, the hearing officer will conduct a hearing at which the requesting party may appear or be represented for the purpose of determining the applicability of this article to the property.
Sec. 46-93. - Littering.
It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit any confetti, paper, container, waste, or rubbish of any kind upon any sidewalk, road, park or public place, vehicle, or private premises in the county, except in designated litter receptacles.
(Code 1998, § 7-310)
Sec. 46-94. - Transporting loose material.
It shall be unlawful for any person to transport any loose material on county roads unless the material is covered and secured in a manner to prevent littering.
(Code 1998, § 7-311)